Are you planning a camping trip? Whether you’re a seasoned explorer or a first-time camper, it’s important to make sure you have some essential camping equipment with you.
Because camping can be unpredictable, and you never know when you might need a certain piece of gear. To help you out, we’ve put together a list of 10 essential camping items that you should always have in your rucksack.
Our Top 10 Essential Camping Items
- A tent: This one is pretty obvious! Unless you’re planning on sleeping under the stars, you’re going to need a tent. But, “which one?” I hear you ask. Well, that all depends on how many people you’re camping with and what kind of camping trip you’re planning. There are all sorts of different tents on the market, from simple small pop-up tents to large family tents. So, do your research and find one that’s right for you.
- A sleeping bag: This piece of camping kit is at number two for a reason! A good sleeping bag will keep you warm and comfortable all night long, even in the coldest temperatures. Sleeping bag tog is an important factor to consider – the higher the tog, the warmer the sleeping bag. So, if you’re camping in winter, make sure you choose a sleeping bag with a high tog rating.
- A camping stove: No camping trip is complete without some good old-fashioned cooked food. Sure, you could just eat cold snacks and sandwiches, but where’s the fun in that? A camping stove will allow you to cook up some delicious meals, even when you’re miles away from civilisation. Just make sure you pack enough fuel like fire starters and camping gas.
- A camping lantern: A camping lantern is a must-have for any camping trip. Not only will it provide you with some much-needed light, but it will also help you to find your way around in the dark. From headlamps to hand-held lanterns, there are plenty of different camping lanterns to choose from, and you’ll have a great time picking one out!
- A first-aid kit: A camping trip is not the time to skimp on your first-aid supplies. Make sure you have a comprehensive first-aid kit with you, including items like plasters, bandages, antiseptic cream and painkillers. It’s better to be safe than sorry! Plus, if you’re camping with kids, a first-aid kit is an absolute must.
- A folding camping chair: After a long day of hiking and exploring, there’s nothing better than kicking back and relaxing in a comfortable camping chair. Whether you’re sitting around the campfire or just taking a break from setting up your tent, a camping chair will make all the difference. They’re also great for picnics!
- A penknife: A camping trip is a perfect time to get in touch with your inner Bear Grylls. A penknife is an essential piece of camping equipment and can be used for everything from preparing food to starting a campfire. Just make sure you know how to use it safely!
- Map & Compass: Getting lost is no fun, especially when you’re camping in the middle of nowhere. A map and compass is essential if you’re headed somewhere off the beaten track. Make sure you know how to use them before you set off, and always carry them with you when you’re exploring.
- Snacks & Fluids: Your rucksack is probably starting to fill up by now, but there’s always room for some snacks and fluids! Camping can be tiring, so make sure you have plenty ofenergy-boosting snackswith you, like fruit, nuts and granola bars. And, don’t forget to pack some water too – at least 1 litre per person per day.
- Toiletries: Last but certainly not least, don’t forget your toiletries! Camping can be tough on your skin, so make sure you pack all your essentials, like sunscreen, mosquito repellent and lip balm. And, if you’re camping in a remote location, don’t forget to pack some biodegradable soap and a toothbrush.
There you have it – 10 essential pieces of camping equipment you need in your rucksack. So, what are you waiting for? Start packing! And, if you’re looking for some great camping gear, have a look online or pop into your local camping store. Happy camping!